Nigeria partner roles
President's Malaria Initiative (PMI)
- PMI prioritizes the areas of Nigeria with the highest burden of malaria. As such, PMI support is focused in the 11 states of Akwa Ibom, Bauchi, Benue, Cross River, Ebonyi, Kebbi, Nasarawa, Oyo, Platea, Sokoto, and Zamfara.
- In other areas of Nigeria, PMI provides support for entomological surveillance and insecticide resistance management in support of the country’s national malaria control strategy through collaborative efforts led by the National Malaria Elimination Program (NMEP) and other partners.
PMI-supported activities related to case management:
- In 2018, PMI distributed 14.3 million ACTs and 9.5 million RDTs to supported health facilities in the 11 PMI-supported states.
- PMI continued to support malaria diagnostic training and QA in supported states. In 2018/19, PMI trained 42 laboratory scientists from Bauchi and Sokoto states on malaria diagnosis (basic microscopy and RDT). A refresher training was conducted for 39 laboratory scientists to improve skills and competencies in malaria diagnosis. EQA visits occurred in five PMIsupported states (Akwa Ibom, Benue, Cross River, Ebonyi, and Zamfara). To improve malaria diagnostic quality, PMI supported the development of facility-specific standard operating protocols (SOPs).
- PMI continued to promote care-seeking behaviors through mass media (radio spots), community dialogues, compound meetings, and household visits.
- PMI supported a behavioral economics exercise to analyze provider behaviors and determine barriers to following case management guidelines. PMI identified key environmental and behavioral determinants and four design prototypes developed. The prototypes are currently being piloted in three states.