Nigeria community case management
Community Health Systems:
- The framework for community health system is still being developed and needs to be expanded. It is an effective system but with low reach (Global Fund Concept Note)
Community Based Organizations (CBOs) provide community based prevention, sensitization & mobilization, demand creation, care and support, refer and follow up on cases
Coordinated by the Lead NGOs at the zonal level, who are attached to private and secondary health facilities
Role Model Mothers used for increased access to commodities, increased active referrals and escorting clients to PHCs and secondary facilities.
Community Case Management
- NMEP policy supports the use of pre-referral rectal artesunate at a community or peripheral health facility level.
Funding (often not costed and included in appropriations)
Interventions often not adjusted to fit peculiarities of communities (diverse cultural, social and religious set ups)
Cultural and operational barriers such as a lack of referral linkages to the formal health system, limited availability of rectal artesunate, and poor supervision and reporting have prevented implementation
- The National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) intends to expand access to malaria case management through iCCM (implemented in Nigeria since 2014)
- This will be led by the Child Health Division
- Delay in starting and the challenge of commodities
- The Canadian International Development Agency supports implementation of iCCM in two states (Abia and Niger State) as part of the WHO Rapid Access Expansion (RACE) Programme
- The Global Fund supports the rollout of the malaria component in the remaining 21 Local Government Areas (LGAs) in Niger State
- WHO funds the additional non-malaria commodities
- ICF-International provides semi-annual data quality assessments to the project
- USAID-Nigeria, through maternal, neonatal and child health funding, is implementing national-level advocacy support to the Federal Ministry of Health, and landscaping the different models of community-level case management to determine a sustainable model for Nigeria
- PMI will implement iCCM in PMI supported states.